Saturday, May 5, 2012

Burlap Sack Curtain Tutorial

A while ago I was contacted by burlapfabric.com to do a tutorial or project with some of their burlap sacks... I was honored and excited to receive some free burlap! Burlapfabric.com has a ton of burlap options at a really good price... I'm definitely going to be ordering from them in the future.

I decided to use one of the grain sacks to make a curtain valance for my kitchen nook corner.



I started with this large sack and cut along the long side (leaving the short side seam in place for less sewing) I cut just above the green line because I wasn't going to use the stamp for this project. Here's what the bag looked like before...


I did a quick stitch around the edges so that the burlap wouldn't unravel and two long seams for the curtain rod... thats all the sewing it took... probably less that 10 minutes. 

For the stenciling I traced a circle with a smaller circle inside using plates and a sharpie... yep, plates and a sharpie. I wanted a stamped look....


Next I filled it in with black fabric paint to give it a worn ink look... being sparing with the paint, you don't need much. Just dab the sponge and get the excess off on a paper towel or something so its not heavy paint. 


Next I used stencils to do the lettering. My design has our last name spread out along the bottom edge with "Est. 2008" inside the circle stamp. 


I'm happy with how it turned out... I like the rustic edges and subtle lettering. Its a little country rustic in my little kitchen nook... It was much easier than I thought it would be and only took about an hour for the whole project. 

I love that its personal with our family name...






Linking to...





Disclaimer:  I was given free burlap bags but I was not compensated to write this post.  All opinions and recommendations are 100% mine. 

16 comments:

  1. Kirstin, I love these - so cute and shabby chic! I would love for you to link up to our party http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2012/05/pinteresting-link-party-week-38.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now...this is one super cute THRIFTY idea!!! Come by and show it off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY party this week.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that the stamp looks like it was pre-printed. COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!! I'm still debating what type of window treatments I want in our kitchen. It was between drop cloth or burlap. I'm thinking burlap might just be the winner! I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this sweet little corner! I absolutely love what you did with the burlap, I am going to have to try this for sure.
    Newly following and visiting from FNF. I'm off to check out more of your posts!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thankyou for the tutorial, now I have an idea of how to do up a burlap table runner. Your blog title is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I will be back, as I have become a new follower here. Check out my giveaway over at Something Special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your curtains!! So adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super charming~ love your new valance~Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting us know about this fun web-site and how fun that you were selected to do a project. Love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE! I just made some valances too out of their coffee bags.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback and get to know you better! Leave a comment!